Thursday, February 4, 2010

How close are we to becoming a police state?



How close are we to becoming a police state? In my previous post a gave a sketchy outline of a plan for a domestic Stability Police Force. The idea of this S.P.F. is alarming to me. I'm all for the rule of law, as well as , law and order.I believe the majority of our men and women in our police forces do a magnificent job and are to be praised for what they do. I think that some aspects of a stability police force might be desirable. We have places in this nation controlled by gangs and thugs that ought to be declared in armed insurrection against the government. But then the Army was intended to be used to put down rebellions against the government so I guess we really don't need an S.P.F.

What worries me is that in my lifetime -and especially in the last 20 years - I have witnessed a tremendous erosion of our liberties. take time to watch this video and you too may ask how close ARE we to becoming a police state?

2 comments:

Travis O'Neill said...

Ok, I cant listen to the audio on this video, but just from watching this, I have to comment. Are our police being militarized? Yes. Do I think police have too much power and control? Yes, but we have to keep some things in mind. Generally the police that are geared up like the ones featured in this video are specialized factions of the police forced used to enter areas that are known to be dangerous. The criminals have bulletproof vests, fully automatic weapons, and above all the advantage of familiarity of their surroundings. How can we expect them to go in as 'ol johnny law' with nothing but a badge and a revolver and be expected to compete with these criminals? They're already at a disadvantage even if they're given semi-automatic weapons. We have to at least try to keep our police forces equivalent to criminals or we're just sending them to be slaughtered.

Freedomlover said...

I agree with you to a point. Yes there is a time,place, and situation for this. However, when do we cross the line and swat, and militarized police become a gestapo or KGB kind of force? At what point do we develope a Stability Police Force that treats American Citizens that disagree with the government as "insurgents" and attrocities are committed? Better to err on the side of Freedom, than to be lulled into tyranny!